In addition to exploratory work on new products, this position will provide the technical support to the Marketing department to aid in targeting customers or product ideas to support long-term business growth as well as support the product development team in reducing new product ideas to practice. Not only does this position require a high level of critical thinking and broad engineering application knowledge, it demands the expert communication and organization skills typically found in a experienced engineer.
Finally, to succeed in this position the engineer must also be able to manage, develop and safeguard IP assets in concert with our development teams and IP counsel.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Serve as the facilitator in competitive analysis at a product level, developing technical and market intelligence specific to customers and competitors. This requires the ability to generate reliable cost models of competing products, taking into account possible manufacturing processes, materials and their associated costs.
- Deliver comprehensive benchmarking engineering reports, with little oversight, on a monthly basis. Leading to a larger knowledge sharing exercise with engineering, sales and development teams on a quarterly basis.
- Work with Engineering and Marketing Managers to direct the pipeline development process of new business opportunities.
- On a monthly basis, conduct and summarize search results on domestic and foreign patent publications for trends within our product areas of interest; identifying threats, opportunities as well as suggesting internal course of action.
- Work with our corporate Intellectual Property (IP) counsel to manage our corporate IP portfolio. Interacting with inventors and managers to aid in the prosecution and filing of new inventions and managing regular maintenance fee reviews with management team to examine costs.
- Interface with Account Managers and Development Team to assist business development, supporting sales and development teams to target specific opportunities in Powertrain, Camera/Sensor Wash, Windshield Wash Systems and newly defined prospects.
Qualifications and Skills
Education: Minimum of 4-year college education with an engineering discipline. Mechanical Engineering preferred.
Experience : At least 5 years of product experience and a working knowledge of part design and associated mass production manufacturing processes like injection molding, forming and extrusion. Preferably in Automotive or Consumer Products Industries.